René R. GauthierASSOCIATE PARTNER
+1.514.289.8600 Ext. 215
BIOGRAPHY AND EXPERTISE:
Admitted to the Quebec Bar in 1984, his general practice focuses mainly on litigious civil and commercial matters, in several fields of law, including, contractual disputes, partnership law, shareholder disputes and oppression remedies, corporate law, bankruptcy, banking law, employment law (dismissal), fraud, medical malpractice, sale and matters arising therefrom including disputes relating to latent defects, liability, property law, insurance, municipal law and entertainment law.
Established over thirty years of sustained presence before the Quebec court, Superior court and Court of Appeal, his reputation as trial lawyer was forged through constant achievements marked by an impressive number of successful judicial outcomes that were not only of great significance to his clients, but also, for many of them, contributory to the advancement of law in Quebec and Canada, having been reported in legal publications and cited by courts in Quebec and Canada as leading jurisprudence, comprised of the following cases :
- Restaurant Febo Inc. c. Sam Slodovnick et Claudio Chiavatti, (1986) R.D.J. 418;
- Overing c. Communication Services (CS) Inc., (C.S., 1992-04-28), SOQUIJ AZ-92029141, D.T.E. 92T-1112;
- Lévesque c. Richmond,  R.R.A. 789 (C.S.) confirmé en appel par  R.R.A. 11 (C.A.);
- Hydroforce Québec ltée c. Industrielle et financière Holding Geneve S.A., 1995 CanLII 5143 (QC CA);
- Caruso c. Banque Royale du Canada, 1996 CanLII 6143 (QC CA);
- Richmond c. Lévesque, 1996 CanLII 6051 (QC CA);
- Industrielle et financière Holding Genève S.A. c. Hydroforce Québec Ltée J.E. 98-844 (C.S.), REJB 1998-05338 (C.S.);
- Taraborelli c. All Comodities Inc., 2002 CanLII 46591 (QC CQ);
- Francoeur c. Belzil, 2002 CanLII (QC CS) confirmé en appel;
- LVH Corp. (Las Vegas Hilton) c. Lalonde, 2003 CanLII 27646 (QC CS);
- Stephens v. Aerospace Concepts of Canada Inc. (A.C.I.), 2003 CanLII 556 (QC CS), Appel rejeté sur requête 500-09-013371-034;
- Gruber c. Greenberg et al. 2004 CanLII 5392 (CS) confirmé en appel par 2004 CanLII 14882 (QC CA);
- Banque Royale du Canada c. 9096-3406 Québec inc. 2006 QCCS 5128;
- McColl c. Grand Prix F1 du Canada, 2006 QCCS 2823 (CanLII)
- Désormeau c. Industries Désormeau inc., 2007 QCCS 6997 (CanLII) confirmé en appel par 2008 QCCA 1880 (CanLII);
- Location Bristar Idealease Inc. (Syndic de), 2012 QCCS 211 (CanLII);
- Gameday Leadership Management Consultant Inc. c. Emirates Canadian Sport Development Inc., 2012 QCCS 4467 (CanLII);
- Conseillers en éditique Synésis Inc. (Versalys) c. Bourque, 2013 QCCA 427 (CanLII);
- Toitures Trois Étoiles inc. c. Construction Garnier ltée, 2015 QCCS 1479 (CanLII);
“L’approche civiliste de l’utilisation du concept d’ « attentes légitimes » comme source de droits pour l’actionnaire d’une compagnie Québec Inc. ”, Développement récents en litige commercial, Service de la formation continue du Barreau du Québec 2007, Éditions Yvon Blais, Vol. 277, p.1
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES :
Member of the Liaison Committee with the Court of Québec, Montréal Bar, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
Guest speaker at the 2014 and 2015 Annual Congress of the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI).
Laval University (Quebec)
- Bachelor degree ,LL.B. Law (1983)
Quebec Bar (1984)
Get In Touch.
Our normal operating hours are 9 am to 5:30 pm.